Sunday, December 28, 2014

Top 100 of 2014 (40-31)


40. Shakira - Empire PEAK: #7


While Shakira's latest album hasn't seen the success of her past efforts, this song from it became a top 10 hit on my chart, for the first time in over 7 years.


39. Nikki Yanofsky - Necessary Evil PEAK: #12


Montreal-based jazz singer Nikki Yanofsky started out in her early teens, and released a new album in 2014. This song from it ranks as my highest non-top 10 on the year-end.


38. Our Lady Peace - Won't Turn Back PEAK: #6


It was a strong return for Our Lady Peace; despite the change of sound, this really caught on for me and brought them back to the top 10 for the first time in 5 years.


37. Royal Wood - Forever And Ever PEAK: #3


So far, this is the only song I've really known from Canadian singer-songwriter Royal Wood, but it was pretty catchy and managed to reach my top 5.


36. Kate Voegele - Just Watch Me PEAK: #1 (7 weeks)


It was really worth waiting for! It had been over 3 years since the previous album release from my favourite singer of all time, Kate Voegele, and near the end of the year, she dropped the "Wild Card" EP, which this song is the lead single from. The fact that this debuted at #1 and spent 7 weeks there shows that I certainly haven't lost any interest in her... I hope the hits will continue in 2015 when she follows it up with her fourth full-length album!


35. Michael Jackson feat. Justin Timberlake - Love Never Felt So Good PEAK: #2


He may have died in 2009, but Michael Jackson has remained the King of Pop... and the fact that a new posthumous album "Xscape" can still give big hits showed it. This song, which was re-mastered and included additional vocals from Justin Timberlake, became a strong hit over the summer, reaching the runner-up position on my chart.


34. Paloma Faith - Only Love Can Hurt Like This PEAK: #10


I've never really been a big Paloma Faith fan but this song really caught my ear, even before its release! This Diane Warren-written ballad showed that Paloma really can sing her emotions out, and this became her first ever top 10 on my chart.


33. Demi Lovato - Neon Lights PEAK: #1 (1 week)


Demi Lovato has been one of my favourite pop stars of the decade so far, and her "Demi" album has proven to be one of my favourites lately. This song from it was a huge pop hit and also became her fifth of six #1's so far on my chart.


32. Colbie Caillat - Try PEAK: #1 (1 week)


Another artist who has been no stranger to my #1 is California-based singer-songwriter Colbie Caillat. This song, which got attention for the music video without make-up, really defines what the song is about - projecting a positive self-image just by being yourself and not trying so hard.


31. The Vamps feat. Demi Lovato - Somebody To You PEAK: #5


The Vamps have been one of the year's top breakthrough British boybands. They seem to be more popular than ever before, and this song, which added vocals by Demi Lovato, became a huge hit for me, reaching the top 5 on my chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive