Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Top 100 of 2019

 100. Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow PEAK: #18, 13 weeks
Kicking off the top 100 is a song from the Grammy winning Album of the Year, "Golden Hour". This inspirational ballad, with lyrics that are easily relateable for optimistic thinking in any adversity, followed 2018's top 10 hit "High Horse" and makes the top 100 for 2019.

 99. Weezer - Take On Me PEAK: #15, 12 weeks
One of 2018's biggest viral hits was Weezer's fan-inspired cover of Toto's "Africa". Well, little did we know that an entire album of cover songs would follow it! "The Teal Album", as it is commonly called as per their previous "colourful" self-titled albums, included covers of popular songs through the ages, and this A-Ha cover even managed to remake the original music video!

 98. Virginia To Vegas - Just Friends PEAK: #18, 14 weeks
Virginia To Vegas, the alias of Canadian singer-songwriter Derik John Baker, has been one of the biggest forces on Canadian pop radio this decade. He has had several big hits, most notably 2014's "We Are Stars", which featured Alyssa Reid and made my top 5. This was his biggest hit for me since then, from his newest album "Hartland St."

 97. Austin Mahone - Dancing With Nobody PEAK: #12, 13 weeks
We've seen former teen heartthrob Austin Mahone grow up through our very eyes over the past few years; now 23, he has continued to release strong material. Two of his songs made the 2019 year-end and this is the first of them.

 96. Eddie Money - Brand New Day PEAK: #17, 14 weeks
In 2019, sadly the world of classic rock suffered a huge loss as Eddie Money died at age 70. But before his death, he released this new single, looking back to his past, as it sounds right in line with his 70's and 80's classic hits, but also to the future that sadly would never come for him. Ultimately, this, his final single released during his lifetime, was a top 20 hit for me and makes it into my 100 best of the year. R.I.P. Mr. Money. :(

 95. Brendan Murray - If I'm Honest PEAK: #24, 16 weeks
This young Irish pop star, who got his start singing on the X Factor, has shown promise with this song, which was a moderate chart hit for me in the spring. Hopefully his future material will be just as good!

 94. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One PEAK: #1 (4 weeks), 21 weeks
Two songs from 2018's year-end make return appearances in 2019, and this was the first of them. It's also the first of four appearances from the Canadian pop star on here, tied for the most of any artist. With a video to match, this fun song got the year off to a great start for her - but how high did her other three entries rank?

 93. The Chainsmokers & 5 Seconds Of Summer - Who Do You Love PEAK: #12, 12 weeks
One of the biggest names in EDM over the past few years has been the duo The Chainsmokers, and they sure know how to pick their collaborators well, playing to their own and their partners' strengths! This song, continuing in the same direction that 5 Seconds Of Summer had been going in on their most recent work, fits seamlessly in both artists' discographies! While this is as high as the Chainsmokers get, 5SOS have one more to come.

 92. Corey Hart - Dreaming Time Again PEAK: #15, 12 weeks
In the 80's, one of the biggest pop stars to come out of Canada has to be Corey Hart! Now 57, he has continued to record ever since returning to music earlier in the decade. This song, the title track from his latest EP, had a video filmed in Havana with his son, and nostalgia clearly won for me on this one as it was his strongest since his heyday.

 91. Ava Max - So Am I PEAK: #12, 12 weeks
Late last year, Ava Max broke through with "Sweet But Psycho", and its direct follow-up "So Am I" also makes it into my year-end top 100 this year.



 90. Bush - Bullet Holes PEAK: #20, 14 weeks
From "John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum", the 90's rock band Bush have continued their winning streak, as I have enjoyed most of their stuff since their reunion at the start of the decade. This was yet another hit for me, reaching my top 20.

 89. Emeli Sande - Extraordinary Being PEAK: #13, 13 weeks
Songs from Marvel movies have generally done well for me as I've been a big fan of both the comics and the movies, but this was the first one from a mainline X-Men movie to make it for me. From "Dark Phoenix", Scottish singer-songwriter Emeli Sande taps into the fantasy world of the X-Men and delivers one of her best to date here.

 88. Maddie Poppe - Made You Miss PEAK: #14, 14 weeks
While the American Idol reboot has generally been a bust, it has a least given us a new talent in Maddie Poppe. This alternative pop stomper grabbed my attention, and gave her a breakthrough on my chart.

 87. Steve Perry - Sun Shines Gray PEAK: #12, 13 weeks
Last year, Steve Perry made his long-awaited comeback with his "Traces" album. While "No Erasin'" was huge for me in 2018, its success spilled over into 2019, as this and one other made my top 100.

 86. Kiesza - Sweet Love PEAK: #11, 13 weeks
Over the past few years, Canadian dance-pop singer Kiesza has had several hits for me. 2019 was no exception as the Calgary-born singer got yet another hit, just narrowly missing my top 10.

 85. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - For Real PEAK: #18, 15 weeks
Tom Petty's death in 2017 has resulted in a lot of reflection on his back catalogue, reminding the fans how great he always was. Such was his strength that even unreleased material like this was top-notch, and worthy of inclusion on the compilation album it was released on, following last year's top 5 hit "Keep A Little Soul".

 84. Avril Lavigne - Tell Me It's Over PEAK: #7, 15 weeks
2019 was the year Avril Lavigne finally released her comeback album, her first in six years. The title track "Head Above Water" was a hit for me last year, and this gave her another top 10 to add to her already impressive tally of hits.

 83. Westlife - Dynamite PEAK: #11, 16 weeks
Hands up - who expected Westlife to have such a strong comeback that THREE of their songs would make my year-end top 100? That's exactly what happened here, as nostalgia for their style of boy bands led to a successful comeback personally. This wasn't quite as successful as the first two singles from the "Spectrum" album, but still managed to explode like dynamite and nearly go top 10!

 82. Starcrawler - Hollywood Ending PEAK: #12, 13 weeks
Many artists have charted for me by word of mouth on message boards, and the Los Angeles alternative rock band Starcrawler is one of them! This song, which ended up on their second album "Devour You", was a massive word of mouth hit, and reached a #12 peak for me - not bad for a relative unknown in the commercial sphere!

 81. Huey Lewis & the News - Her Love Is Killin' Me PEAK: #15, 13 weeks
Can you believe it's been nearly 20 years since Huey Lewis & the News have released an album of original songs? Well, 2019 was the year that they came back, and this one, recalling past triumphs of the band who soundtracked the 80's with their feel good styles, proves that nostalgia wins yet again! Their forthcoming album "Weather" will be released early next year.


 80. Louis Tomlinson - Two Of Us PEAK: #11, 13 weeks
Until this year, my most overlooked One Direction member has been Louis Tomlinson. However, while three 1D members make my year-end top 100, Louis is the only one to make it in twice! I feel he's finally starting to find his own sound, and songs like this, dedicated to his late mother, taking on a new meaning with the death of his sister as well, show his vulnerabilities well. How high for his #1 hit "Kill My Mind"?

 79. Pink - Walk Me Home PEAK: #8, 13 weeks
Pink is someone that has generally had decent success for me, but never really reached core artist status. Ultimately, I found her latest album "Hurts 2B Human" to be a disappointment, but this lead single was still able to reach my top 10, adding yet another to her impressive tally of hits.

 78. Hatchie - Without A Blush PEAK: #8, 14 weeks
Another word of mouth hit here - Australian singer Hatchie reached my top 10 with this hit that got personal chart attention.

 77. Jennifer Lopez - Limitless PEAK: #6, 17 weeks
Jennifer Lopez has spent most of the 2010's being fairly inconsistent; often one single will hit the top 10 and the next one will fail to chart entirely. This Sia-written song from J-Lo's film "Second Act" was a winner for me though, as it reached my top 10 early in the year.

 76. Kylie Minogue - New York City PEAK: #13, 15 weeks
She's been in the music business for over 30 years, and especially in the past two decades for me, Kylie Minogue has had hit after hit for me. This ode to NYC became yet another big hit for me, peaking at #13.

 75. Maisie Peters - Stay Young PEAK: #13, 15 weeks
One of the youngest singers on here, the 19-year-old British starlet who got her start on Youtube has had a breakthrough year for me. Of her three songs to make my chart, this was the one that did the best.

 74. Anna Clendening - Anxiety PEAK: #19, 19 weeks
Another young star who has achieved fame on Youtube, Anna Clendening had this hit for me, inspired by her real life struggles with anxiety.

 73. Kelly Clarkson - Never Enough PEAK: #1 (4 weeks), 20 weeks
Appearing on 2018's year-end was "never enough" for Kelly Clarkson, as the song that closed 2018 at #1 makes an encore appearance at 2019! Unsurprisingly, she has one more song still to come, which also hit #1 for me.

 72. New Kids On The Block - Boys In The Band (Boy Band Anthem) PEAK: #7, 13 weeks
After heading last year's all-star collaboration "80's Baby", what else do New Kids On The Block know well aside from the decade that made them stars? Well, how about boy bands? This song, recorded for a 30th anniversary re-release of "Hangin' Tough", namedrops many of their contemporaries and became another top 10 hit for me.

 71. Bruce Springsteen - Sundown PEAK: #6, 12 weeks
It's been a big year for Bruce Springsteen - not once, but twice, he returned to my top 10 this year, for the first time since 2002. From his film "Western Stars", The Boss stays true to his New Jersey roots and delivers yet another classic-sounding tune here. Still one more to come from Bruce!


 70. Laura Marano - Lie To Me PEAK: #13, 17 weeks
Former Disney star Laura Marano has gone the independent route for her latest project, and this song's music video features clips from her movie "The Perfect Date". This is her first of two appearances in the top 100; her other song "Let Me Cry" is a fair bit higher yet.

 69. Nina Nesbitt - Love Letter PEAK: #8, 15 weeks
Nina Nesbitt is one artist whose music has really impressed me over the past couple years; this became her second top 10 overall to date, and makes it in at #69 for the year.

 68. Zara Larsson - All The Time PEAK: #11, 16 weeks
Zara Larsson is someone I've generally considered to be just ok, but this one really caught my ear more than any of her others to date, and remains my favourite from her so far.

 67. Parachute - Young PEAK: #9, 15 weeks
It's been a long time coming, but the Hot AC band Parachute, after a decade of charting minor songs, finally hit the top 10 for the first time with "Young".

 66. Toni Cornell - Far Away Places PEAK: #8, 14 weeks
Talent tends to run in families, and this was certainly the case here. The 15-year-old daughter of the late Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell has shown talents of her own here, and if this is any indication, she's got a good career ahead of her!

 65. Bruce Springsteen - I'll Stand By You PEAK: #7, 16 weeks
The second of two songs from Bruce Springsteen lands here; he originally wrote it for a Harry Potter movie, but it wasn't released until 2019, when it appeared on the soundtrack to "Blinded By The Light". Definitely a welcome comeback for The Boss!

 64. Meghan Trainor - Badass Woman PEAK: #5, 13 weeks
Another movie hit here; this appears on the soundtrack to "The Hustle". Not many people seemed to like this one, but it caught on for me and made my top 5.

 63. Kate Voegele - French PEAK: #1 (6 weeks), 6 weeks
The song that closes the year, and the decade, at #1, is by a very familiar name on my chart! This became Kate Voegele's 25th #1 upon its release last month, and has kept her hit streak going to nobody's surprise! As it is still at #1 on my chart, I expect an encore appearance for this in 2020. ;)

 62. Ledger - Completely PEAK: #8, 17 weeks
The Christian rock band Skillet have had over a dozen appearances on my chart, but a top 10 as of yet has completely eluded them. However, their drummer Jen Ledger, who shares lead vocals on many of their songs, stepped out solo here, and got something her band has not been able to do to date... and that is, a top 10 hit!

 61. Steve Perry - We're Still Here PEAK: #9, 17 weeks
Steve Perry's "Traces" album got two songs into this year's top 100, and this one, which was a moderate adult contemporary hit, gave him another top 10 on my chart.


 60. Mandy Moore - When I Wasn't Watching PEAK: #8, 15 weeks
Now this was an unexpected comeback! After a successful music career in the 90's and 2000's, Mandy Moore has focused on acting for most of the 2010's. But her return to music turned out to be worthwhile as she got her first top 10 hit in 17 years here.

 59. Hayley Orrantia - If I Don't PEAK: #9, 17 weeks
This pop-country singer and actress got some word of mouth buzz on personal charts this year, and that helped her reach the top 10 with the first song of hers that I've heard.

 58. Paul McCartney - Who Cares PEAK: #7, 17 weeks
"Egypt Station" was my favourite effort from the legendary Sir Paul McCartney in many years, and following last year's two top 10 hits, a third was this year. With a memorable video featuring Emma Stone, this anti-bullying anthem became yet another hit for the Beatles legend.

 57. Mark Ronson feat. Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like A Heart PEAK: #3, 16 weeks
I've overall found Miley Cyrus's output this decade to be very inconsistent, but after her "Younger Now" era redeemed her for me following two disastrous albums, she was only looking upward. Teaming up with Mark Ronson on this one, this returned Miley to my top 10 for the first time in nearly a decade.

 56. Qkumba Zoo - Unicorns PEAK: #11, 16 weeks
One of my favourite memes has been "The Child (Inside)" by Qkumba Zoo, an obscure 1996 hit by a South African dance-pop act. In the past few years, the two surviving members Owl and Levannah have reunited and made new music together. This song narrowly missed my top 10, becoming a "nostalgia always wins" moment, proving it even applies to more obscure artists!

 55. Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 8 weeks
Over the past few years, I've been enjoying Dua Lipa's music more with every single she's released. Following EDM collaborations with DJ's such as Silk City and Calvin Harris, the British singer of Albanian descent has applied the disco sound to her own music, resulting in her first #1 on my chart - and it debuted there! As it's still riding high in my top 10, I wouldn't count out an encore appearance in 2020!

 54. Carly Rae Jepsen - Want You In My Room PEAK: #6, 14 weeks
It's clear that Carly Rae Jepsen has been one of my most consistent artists of the decade. Following commercial breakthrough "Kiss", fan favourite "Emotion" and its "Side B" sequel, she returned in 2019 with "Dedicated", another very strong effort, with this being her third highest of four entries in here. The music video certainly helped here as well ;)

 53. BBMak - So Far Away PEAK: #15, 19 weeks
I'd known that BBMak had reunited and was about to release new music in 2019... but I had no idea it would be THIS good! Their newest album "Powerstation" had two appearances in the top 100; the other one, "Bullet Train" was a #1 and is still to come.

 52. Fastball - The Girl You Pretended To Be PEAK: #7, 15 weeks
I continue to have nostalgia for a lot of artists I enjoyed back in the 90's, one of them being Austin, Texas trio Fastball. This song, from their latest album "The Help Machine", echoed their classic sound very well and was a top 10 for me this year.

 51. Niall Horan - Nice To Meet Ya PEAK: #3, 12 weeks
I've enjoyed many of the One Direction members' projects lately, and one of the best lately has been Niall Horan. This indie-pop tune reached #3 on my chart, coincidentally behind two other 1D alumni.


 50. Dua Lipa - Swan Song PEAK: #7, 16 weeks
And here is the highest of two entries from Dua Lipa! From "Alita: Battle Angel", this song was a top 10 hit for me in the spring.

 49. Westlife - Better Man PEAK: #6, 17 weeks
The second of three entries from Westlife here, this ballad is most similar to their classics of the new songs I've heard from them. Still one more to come from them.

 48. Simple Plan, State Champs & We The Kings - Where I Belong PEAK: #2, 11 weeks
Simple Plan have been very reliable for me since 2003; every album has had at least one top 10 hit since their debut. This single, to promote their tour with the other bands on the single, got #2 late this year and fits right in with their classic hits.

 47. Keane - The Way I Feel PEAK: #7, 16 weeks
For many years, Keane had struggled for me after their first two albums had among their best songs ever. But recently, they had this, which brought them back to my top 10 for the first time in 13 years.

 46. Jonas Brothers - Cool PEAK: #7, 18 weeks
Another reunited boyband here, the Jonas Brothers have 3 songs all in my top 50. This "cool" tune was a summer top 10 for me, but wasn't quite as good for me as "Sucker" and "Only Human", both of which are still to come.

 45. Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus & Lana Del Rey - Don't Call Me Angel PEAK: #3, 14 weeks
A superstar trio here, Ariana Grande has been very inconsistent for me lately, but this song definitely had my approval. Teaming her up with fellow pop princesses Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Rey, The three of them had a quick top 5 hit and ranking in my top 50 of the entire year.

 44. Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber - I Don't Care PEAK: #5, 16 weeks
Ed Sheeran's latest project is an album full of collaborations! Overall I've found it quite inconsistent, as there have been several I haven't liked at all (especially given some collaborators I absolutely can't stand), but this one with Justin Bieber was a quick hit for me. Despite Bieber not normally doing well for me, this became his first ever top 10 hit on my chart - it was a collaboration that fits both artists' discographies very well. Still one more from Mr. Sheeran to come!

 43. O-Town - Off PEAK: #6, 18 weeks
Another reunited boyband here - only this time, it's been several years since O-Town initially reunited! This has been my favourite song from them since they reunited, becoming their first top 10 hit in 18 years.

 42. Stand Atlantic - Lost My Cool PEAK: #6, 20 weeks
Many hits here made it on word of mouth, and this Australian rock band Stand Atlantic was one of them! Definitely the best song I've heard from them so far, as well as making my top 10.

 41. Busted - Nineties PEAK: #1 (1 week), 23 weeks
Another boy band who, while they reunited many years ago, really hit their old strides again! This song, with their classic pop/punk sound, was a nostalgic look back at the 90's, the decade they grew up in, and its nostalgic theme made it my favourite Busted song to date - even better than their original era!


 40. Courage My Love - Harlequin Romance PEAK: #10, 19 weeks
Canadian female rock band Courage My Love have had several hits on my chart over the past few years, but it wasn't until 2019 when they hit my top 10 with this one.

 39. Taylor Swift - Getaway Car PEAK: #5, 16 weeks
2019 may have been all about her "Lover" album, but this song from "Reputation" closed off that era for me; it was an initial favourite from the album and I knew it had to get on my chart, where it made my top 5.

 38. Jonas Brothers - Only Human PEAK: #7, 19 weeks
While it became a meme online, this song from their comeback album "Happiness Begins" caught my ear with its catchy melody and became a well-deserved top 10 on my chart. But knowing said meme, it should've been #1. ;)

 37. Backstreet Boys - Chances PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 22 weeks
After being in my top 10 of 2018 with "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", its follow-up "Chances" gave the Backstreet Boys yet another #1 on my chart; timed perfectly to commemorate my chart's 20th anniversary as they were one of the acts on the inaugural chart.

 36. Emma Bunton - Baby Please Don't Stop PEAK: #5, 17 weeks
Another artist with many years of charting is Emma Bunton! Both as part of the Spice Girls and as a solo artist, she's appeared throughout my history, and this brought her back to my top 10.

 35. Sum 41 - Never There PEAK: #6, 19 weeks
These guys normally do upbeat punk rock, but to my surprise, this turned out to be a soft ballad! It was a style that worked well for them on this song, also giving them a much-anticipated return to my top 10.

 34. Zedd & Katy Perry - 365 PEAK: #1 (1 week), 16 weeks
While Katy Perry's been rather inconsistent over the past few years, she's had her bright moments still. This one, teaming up with Zedd, a DJ who knows how to rope in the popular female vocalists, was yet another #1 from her.

 33. Westlife - Hello My Love PEAK: #3, 16 weeks
Hands up - who expected Westlife to make such a huge comeback for me? Not me - indeed, this may have become my favourite from them - ever! Definitely a worthy comeback, the nostalgia for their brand of pop music was very strong!

 32. Tegan & Sara - I'll Be Back Someday PEAK: #5, 17 weeks
The duo of sisters Tegan and Sara Quin have been around for a long time, and this decade saw their career rise to new heights, as they hit my top spot in 2016 with "Boyfriend". This lead single from their latest album was yet another top 5 for me.

 31. Jimmy Eat World - All The Way (Stay) PEAK: #2, 13 weeks
Another band who had a long-awaited return to form here is Jimmy Eat World! "All The Way (Stay)" became their first top 10 hit in 17 years for me... and indeed, it rose all the way to the runner-up spot on my chart.


 30. Post Malone - Circles PEAK: #6, 17 weeks
Up until this song was released, I'd hated everything Post Malone had released given it was mumble rap. This one, however, shocked me as to how much I enjoyed it, being a departure from his usual style!

 29. Austin Mahone - Why Don't We PEAK: #7, 19 weeks
A new jack swing throwback here, I didn't expect Austin Mahone to go retro, but it worked very well for him!

 28. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly PEAK: #3, 23 weeks
One of my top newcomers of 2019, Alec Benjamin made a big splash with this one, which was in my top 5 for the bulk of the early part of 2019.

 27. Teenage Wrist - Mary PEAK: #7, 20 weeks
This is one of my ultimate word of mouth hits, given it got no mainstream attention, but after the buzz had built about Teenage Wrist, this song, which became a favourite on several other personal charts, I really caught on to this one, and it reached my top 10 over the summer.

 26. Carly Rae Jepsen - Too Much PEAK: #6, 21 weeks
The third of four Carly Rae Jepsen songs here, this one, along with its parent album "Dedicated" was another top 10 smash for me, further extending her hit streak.

 25. Harry Styles - Lights Up PEAK: #1 (3 weeks), 11 weeks
I knew Harry Styles wouldn't disappoint me, given he's always been my favourite One Direction member. And when it came time for him to release his second solo album, I was really anticipating it, and I feel it's an excellent album that'll help him avoid the sophomore slump. This lead single was an instant hit for me, debuting at #1 and spending three weeks there, and is still currently top 10.

 24. Katy Perry - Immortal Flame PEAK: #1 (1 week), 19 weeks
"Final Fantasy: Brave Exivus" the video game gave us this song, which was a #1 for me early in the year and proving Katy Perry can still do some good songs; a song like this would definitely fit such a game well.

 23. Katy Perry - Never Really Over PEAK: #1 (1 week), 16 weeks
And here's the highest entry for Katy Perry! While usually she manages a year-end top 10 every time she releases, this time she falls short and misses my top 20, but with a showing this high still, it proves she is "never really over".

 22. Shakespear's Sister - All The Queen's Horses PEAK: #3, 21 weeks
It had been 27 years since the two members of Shakespear's Sister had recorded together as a duo, so it was a welcome and overdue reunion here! Their comeback single made my top 5, peaking at #3 and becoming one of the big comeback stories of 2019.

 21. Kelly Clarkson - Broken & Beautiful PEAK: #1 (1 week), 18 weeks
And here's another big name crashing out for the year! Kelly Clarkson, while one of my biggest core artists ever, started her talk show this year and has been mostly quiet on the music front, but she still delivered this catchy tune to the "UglyDolls" soundtrack.


 20. Collective Soul - Right As Rain PEAK: #5, 21 weeks
Ever since their peak popularity in the 90's, I've always enjoyed Collective Soul's music, and they've had a steady presence on my chart during its entire existence. This single from their latest album turned out to be another winner for them, reaching my top 5.

 19. Carly Rae Jepsen - Now That I Found You PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 18 weeks
Highest entry for Carly Rae Jepsen here, definitely one of the standouts from "Dedicated". Unsurprisingly, it was another #1, and the video with her and the cats was adorable too!

 18. 5 Seconds Of Summer - Teeth PEAK: #1 (1 week), 19 weeks
A little edgier than usual sound from 5 Seconds Of Summer here, I felt this one had some "teeth" to it. It ended up taking a big leap into the #1 spot and became their first ever #1 on my chart, rivalling "Amnesia" and "Youngblood" for my favourite from them overall.

 17. Louis Tomlinson - Kill My Mind PEAK: #1 (1 week), 17 weeks
I feel 2019 is the year that One Direction's soloist Louis Tomlinson finally found the sound he's most comfortable with. Ultimately, I've latched on, with three top 20 hits so far from his debut album "Walls". This Oasis-esque tune became my favourite from him so far, reaching #1 and being the highest from any One Direction member here.

 16. Laura Marano - Let Me Cry PEAK: #4, 22 weeks
I first knew of Laura Marano from her fun 2016 hit "Boombox", which was in my top 10 songs that year. She surprised me with this emotional ballad "Let Me Cry" as well, showing her diversity and becoming a top 5 hit.

 15. Rob Thomas - Can't Help Me Now PEAK: #1 (3 weeks), 19 weeks
Rob Thomas came back in 2019 with the "Chip Tooth Smile" album, and it seems all is right with him as he got two #1's on my chart this year, right on form. This was the second of them; the first is up in the top 10, but how high?

 14. BBMak - Bullet Train PEAK: #1 (1 week), 23 weeks
After hearing the news that BBMak had reunited in 2019, I was excited to hear new music from them. Sure enough, "Bullet Train" had the sound that I knew and loved best from them, and this was a quick hit for me, reaching #1 for a week and having longevity in the top 100. Definitely a warm welcome back!

 13. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 19 weeks
Shawn Mendes continued his hit streak in 2019 with this single - building upon his previous years' hits and being catchy with substance, he unsurprisingly sailed straight to #1 with this, his only appearance in the top 100 - unless you count the remix of a song still to come!

 12. The Cranberries - All Over Now PEAK: #1 (1 week), 19 weeks
2019 was the year that the final album by the Cranberries, "In The End" was released. While it was bittersweet following Dolores O'Riordan's death, this lead single had their trademark sound all over it and was an instant hit for me, becoming a #1 for a week. However, she did upstage her own song - how high for "Wake Me When It's Over"?

 11. Taylor Swift - Lover PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 19 weeks
Taylor Swift has always been successful on my chart, but in 2019 her career hit new highs for me - indeed, this is the highest she has appeared on a year-end chart of mine to date! This prom-ready ballad - both in its original version and remix featuring Shawn Mendes - was another favourite of mine, becoming her third #1 from this album. The other two #1's are in the top 10 - which is uncharted territory for Taylor on my year-ends!


 10. Ed Sheeran, Chris Stapleton & Bruno Mars - Blow PEAK: #1 (3 weeks), 21 weeks
When I first saw the tracklisting for Ed Sheeran's new album, this was the song I was most intrigued about, as all three artists have vastly differing styles. Little did I know that it would turn out to be... a hard rock song? Sure enough, this lived up to my expectations... and then some! It was a quick #1 for me where it stayed for three weeks and became my favourite from Ed Sheeran and Chris Stapleton, but not quite for Bruno Mars. Still, the highest for all three this year.

 9. Taylor Swift feat. Brendon Urie - ME! PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 21 weeks
Hey kids! Spelling is fun! This was a fun lead single for the "Lover" album that I always enjoyed and never got sick of, and the presence of Brendon Urie really made it fit both artists' styles. Still one more from Taylor to come!

 8. Rob Thomas - One Less Day (Dying Young) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 19 weeks
I've been a fan of Rob Thomas since the early Matchbox Twenty days, so naturally I was anticipating new music from him. Sure enough, this lead single did not disappoint at all, and brought him back to #1 for the first time in 7 years. It's a well-deserved return to my year-end top 10!

 7. Kygo feat. Whitney Houston - Higher Love PEAK: #1 (1 week), 26 weeks
Whitney Houston had one of the greatest voices in music, and her death in 2012 was a huge loss to the music world. The Norwegian DJ Kygo took the vocals from a rare cover of Steve Winwood's "Higher Love" that Whitney had done back in her prime, and reworked it for 2019... and it turned out to be a respectful remix that became a #1 hit on my chart!

 6. Jonas Brothers - Sucker PEAK: #1 (1 week), 28 weeks
I've liked a fair bit of Jonas Brothers music, as well as their solo projects... and I was hoping their reunion would deliver more good stuff. I certainly didn't expect anything THIS good! Not only was the quality there, but the fact that they managed to do a pure pop song and have it do as well in the mainstream as it did showed that a good song surely has no age, and this could've been a hit in any era. Definitely a well-earned comeback for these boys!


 5. The Cranberries - Wake Me When It's Over PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 28 weeks

Upon hearing "All Over Now", I knew the final Cranberries album was going to be a good one. But I didn't expect to be blown away even more with ANOTHER song from it! "Wake Me When It's Over" definitely has their classic sound all over it, and due to this positive reception, it reached #1 on my chart for two weeks, spending a total of 28 weeks on overall! If there was a way to go out, these guys did it with a bang and did their late lead singer Dolores O'Riordan justice with the final songs she recorded being among her best ever.

 4. Elton John & Taron Egerton - (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again PEAK: #1 (1 week), 28 weeks

One of my themes over the past few years has been "nostalgia always wins", with artists from the 70's, 80's and 90's recapturing past glories with huge hits on my chart echoing their classic styles. Given this song was written for the biopic "Rocketman", it's clear that Elton John was aiming for a song that would fit in well with his classics. Teaming up with the actor who played him, Taron Egerton, this upbeat song reminiscent of his classic hits, powered by nostalgia, became a #1 for a single week on my chart, and having enough longevity to have my #4 song of the year! At age 72, Elton's still got what it takes to do a memorable song!

 3. Lady Antebellum - What If I Never Get Over You PEAK: #1 (2 weeks), 28 weeks

Some songs just have that emotional power to tug at the heartstrings. And this song, by Lady Antebellum, certainly had that effect on me. It's a very relateable song that anyone who's been in a relationship that, despite being over, their mind just can't get over no matter how hard they try can relate to, and the lyrics honestly really felt like they spoke to me directly. I didn't think they'd ever top their 2010 hit "Need You Now", which was in my top 10 that year, but this song did that and more, as it spent two weeks at #1 and 28 weeks in my top 100. Such a well-written song really has the power to touch many people emotionally, and this song certainly did its job in that regard.


 2. Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down PEAK: #1 (3 weeks), 28 weeks

At #2 for the year, we have Taylor Swift with easily her biggest hit so far on my chart. Prior to "You Need To Calm Down", she had never spent more than two weeks at #2 - this spent three weeks, followed by seven weeks at #2. There were many reasons why I enjoyed this song as much as it did - its lyrical content attacked homophobia and its music video was just a lot of fun and fitting with the song's subject matter. This capped off a very successful decade for Taylor, where she had nine #1's overall in the 2010's. But ultimately, on my year-end chart... Taylor fell short of the #1, but still her best performance to date!

 1. Tyler Hilton feat. Kate Voegele - When The Night Moves PEAK: #1 (4 weeks), 43 weeks

Was there ever any doubt here?

I enjoyed several Tyler Hilton songs back in the mid-2000's, with "When It Comes" reaching my #2 spot. After a while, I lost track of him, though he did hit with "Prince Of Nothing Charming" in the early 2010's. However, what really got my attention back was his consistent touring with my favourite singer, Kate Voegele. This sparked a renewal of interest, and it also inspired several musical collaborations between the duo, including the double album "Live In London" with one disc of each singer's performances and several bonus track collaborations. These collaborations also led to several tracks on Tyler's latest album "City On Fire", including the #1 hit "Overtime" which was co-written by both singers. And when the album came out, this song was the instant standout - in no small part due to Kate contributing vocals to it. It had a high debut and quick rise to #1, where it spent four weeks, and ended up with a 43-week run in the top 100 - the third longest run ever.

Kate Voegele has had history with year-end #1's - so far she has had "Only Fooling Myself" (2008), "99 Times" (2009), "Heart In Chains" (2011), "Must Be Summertime" (2016) and now "When The Night Moves" (2019). Congratulations, Tyler and Kate on an amazing song... a well-deserved #1 of 2019!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive