Monday, April 20, 2009

Top 500 songs of 1999-2008 (11-100)

[image]
100. Faber Drive - When I'm With You (2008) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Opening up the top 100 is this ballad from a Canadian pop/rock band. Their single before this, "Tongue Tied", helped break them through on my chart, but this was the song that got #1 for them.

[image]
99. Britney Spears - Break The Ice (2008) PEAK: #2

One of the singers with the most appearances on here is Britney Spears, and this, the highest ranked single from "Blackout" is also her highest ranked that did not hit #1; it peaked at #2 behind Kate Voegele's "Only Fooling Myself". Still many more Britney songs to come.

[image]
98. Backstreet Boys - Shape Of My Heart (2000) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

Another group with many songs in this list is the Backstreet Boys; this was their longest lasting #1 on my chart, but two other songs they did beat this out in overall ranking.

[image]
97. Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love (1999) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Jennifer Lopez had previously been known as an actress, but this song helped break her through as a singer as well. This debut single reached #1 for a single week on my chart; she has one more to come.

[image]
96. 'N Sync - It's Gonna Be Me (2000) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Another boyband who has had several big hits on my chart is 'N Sync, and they were at the peak of their popularity in the "No Strings Attached" era. This song was their second #1 in a row; the other #1 is still to come. But how high is "Bye Bye Bye"?

[image]
95. TLC - No Scrubs (1999) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Here's the highest entry for a trio who had several other big hits in the 90's but they all predated my chart. This was the first that made my chart, and spent 2 weeks at #1 back in 1999. Not surprisingly, it's also their highest.

[image]
94. Alicia Keys - No One (2007) PEAK: #3

About six years after her breakthrough single "Fallin'" (which is still to come), this gave her another big hit after having had other moderate hits in between. This quickly became one of my favourite songs from her and ranks as her second highest in the list.

[image]
93. Robbie Williams - Millennium (1999) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Already a huge British star before this, Robbie Williams got a North American breakthrough with this single; while the success didn't last in the USA at least, he did have several other hits in Canada and remained a huge worldwide star, and this ranks as his highest appearance in here.

[image]
92. Rob Thomas - Ever The Same (2006) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Fresh off the #1 success of "This Is How A Heart Breaks" (which is still to come), Rob Thomas continued the solo success with "Ever The Same", which was more of a midtempo song and remains one of my favourites from him to date.

[image]
91. Katy Perry - I Kissed A Girl (2008) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

One of 2008's most talked about hits, Katy Perry's breakthrough single was a huge worldwide #1 smash, and also reached #1 on my chart, where it stayed for three weeks. Two other #1's so far have followed this up, one of which is still to come... but how high did "Hot N Cold" rank?


[image]
90. Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry (2007) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

I haven't been a huge fan of Fergie's solo career so far... but this song has been the exception, as it is by far my favourite from her. While a lot of her songs are more urban-oriented, this was just an emotional pop ballad with among the most memorable lyrics of 2007. Naturally, this ranks as her highest solo song... but she has one more with the Black Eyed Peas to come!

[image]
89. Eminem - Lose Yourself (2002) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

Eminem made his acting debut in the autobiographical film "8 Mile", to which he contributed this Oscar-winning song. Once I heard it, it quickly became my favourite from him, spending a total of five weeks at #1 on my chart, and ranking as his highest on this list.

[image]
88. Alanis Morissette - Crazy (2005) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

I'm usually skeptical of cover songs if I really like the original, and while she doesn't quite top Seal's original version, Alanis Morissette still does a really good job of "Crazy".... so good that it managed a week at #1 on my chart, and ranks as Alanis's highest on here.

[image]
87. Janet Jackson - All For You (2001) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

While I generally like her 80's and 90's music the best, Janet continued the hits into the current decade, with songs like this showing she still had that hit factor. This catchy, danceable song became one of Janet's biggest hits overall, and spent three weeks atop my chart, ranking as her highest.

[image]
86. Linkin Park - Shadow Of The Day (2007) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Upon hearing this song, it quickly became my favourite Linkin Park song. While softer than most of their stuff, in many ways resembling U2's classic "With Or Without You", it's still got their distinct style all over it, and became their first (and so far, only) #1 on my chart to date. Not surprisingly, it's also their highest here.

[image]
85. Santana f/Product G&B - Maria Maria (2000) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

After the huge success of his comeback single "Smooth", Carlos Santana took more Latin rhythms, teamed up with the Wyclef Jean protegés Product G&B and came up with this groove that became one of my favourite Santana songs overall. Still one more Santana song to come, and it's one he did with an artist he's already appeared with elsewhere in the list!

[image]
84. Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely (2000) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

The Backstreet Boys are one of a few acts who have had four #1's on my chart from the same album; "Millennium" was what did it for them. This was the third of those #1's, one of my favourite ballads from them... how high is "I Want It That Way"?

[image]
83. Britney Spears - (You Drive Me) Crazy (1999) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Stop! The second of two "Crazy" songs in here, and this one is by Britney Spears. This made her the first artist ever to start off with three straight #1's on my chart, and is her sixth highest in my list. How high are the other five... can any of them be #1?

[image]
82. Celine Dion - That's The Way It Is (2000) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Max Martin has to be one of the most prolific producers in terms of achieving the most hits on my chart... and along with the usual suspects he's worked with, he has also done a few collaborations with other artists, including Canadian diva Celine Dion! This uptempo pop song became one of my favourites of her legendary career, and her first of two #1's so far on my chart; this one ranks as the higher of the two.


81. Lifehouse - Hanging By A Moment (2001) PEAK: #2

Many pop/rock bands have achieved success on my chart this decade, and one of the most successful has been Lifehouse. This song, while it did not hit #1 (nor did any of their other songs to date), eventually became a classic, and one of the biggest hits of the decade. It was in my top 5 songs of 2001, and ranks in my top 100 of my chart's first 10 years.

[image]
80. Chad Kroeger & Josey Scott - Hero (2002) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

From one of my favourite movies of 2002, "Spider-Man", came this rock ballad that was hot on the heels of Nickelback's success on "Silver Side Up". It ended up spending a week at #1 on my chart, interrupting Avril Lavigne's 7-week run with "Complicated", which is still to come.


79. Alicia Keys - Fallin' (2001) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Alicia Keys has been one of the decade's most successful and most critically acclaimed artists, and this piano-playing soul vixen showed her talents on this song, her first big hit. It spent 4 weeks at #1 on my chart in the autumn of 2001, and is still my favourite from her.

[image]
78. Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home (2004) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

This Ben Moody-produced track was one I had earmarked as a single from her "Under My Skin" album all along, and I was happy when it finally did get released. It spent five weeks at #1 on my chart, ending a streak of one-weekers, and became one of my favourite Avril songs overall. Still five more from her to come.

[image]
77. Nickelback - Someday (2003) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

This isn't the highest from Nickelback, but it's certainly one of my favourites from them. Upon its release, this debuted at #4 on my chart - a record at the time - and spent three weeks at #1. However, it just couldn't surpass "How You Remind Me" in total success... where did that rank?

[image]
76. Avril Lavigne - I'm With You (2003) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

And when I said there was more Avril to come, I wasn't lying! This ballad was one of the big hits from her "Under My Skin" album, and while I felt there were several other potential singles that were passed over on "Let Go", this was one I was glad to see got released, and spent four weeks at #1 on my chart.

[image]
75. Nine Days - Absolutely (Story Of A Girl) (2000) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

One of the catchiest pop/rock hits of 2000 was this one by a band who unfortunately did not have much other success! But this song definitely stuck in my head, and spent two weeks at #1 on my chart... so if anything, this song has helped Nine Days make their mark.

[image]
74. Backstreet Boys - I Want It That Way (1999) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

And here's the highest appearance by the Backstreet Boys! They've had seven #1's on my chart, and this, their biggest hit overall, is also their biggest on my chart despite not having the most weeks at #1!

[image]
73. Michelle Branch - Goodbye To You (2002) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

If you'd expected a lot of Michelle Branch songs on here, then I'm sure you're not surprised! This song spent five weeks at #1 on my chart back in 2002, and has remained, to date, one of my favourite songs from her. Still six more from her to come, including two as part of the Wreckers.

[image]
72. Seether f/Amy Lee - Broken (2004) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Another movie duet here, this one from "Punisher". I'd heard of Seether before this, but never really took note of them until this, their duet with Evanescence frontwoman Amy Lee, came out. It ended up getting a week at #1 on my chart, and ranks at #72 overall.

[image]
71. Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten (2005) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

The UK has given us one of the most successful female artists out of that country this decade... and Natasha has definitely made her mark. Songs like this, which spent three weeks at #1 at the end of 2005, made me realize how talented she is, and will likely live on as a classic. Still one more Natasha song to come!

[image]
70. Kelly Clarkson - Behind These Hazel Eyes (2005) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

2005 really was Kelly Clarkson's year on my chart... three of her songs that year made my year-end top 10, which is the only time to date it's happened. This was the highest of the three on there, but pretty much because its entire run was in 2005; the other two songs she placed in the 2005 year-end top 10 are higher up as "Since U Been Gone" started its run in 2004, and "Because of You" carried over into 2006.

[image]
69. Jennifer Lopez - Ain't It Funny (2002) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

This is the original version - not the Murder Remix. I felt the original was one of her best songs ever, in fact, it's her highest ranked on here! Unfortunately, she went downhill shortly after this, but at least managed several good songs, this being one of them.

[image]
68. Avril Lavigne - My Happy Ending (2004) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

And of course, here's some Avril! Four singles from her "Under My Skin" album made it, and this was the second highest ranked. How high did "Don't Tell Me" rank?

[image]
67. Maroon 5 - Wake Up Call (2007) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

I really took a liking to Maroon 5's album "It Won't Be Soon Before Long", and while this song wasn't an instant standout for me, it eventually did spend four weeks at #1 on my chart, becoming one of their biggest hits. Still two more for them to come.

[image]
66. Britney Spears - Sometimes (1999) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Britney Spears broke through in a big way in 1999, and songs like this definitely helped the cause. This became her second #1 in a row, following the huge hit "Baby One More Time"... but how high did that rank? Or any of her other three later songs that are all still to come?

[image]
65. Natasha Bedingfield - These Words (2005) PEAK: #3

Despite not reaching #1 on my chart, Natasha Bedingfield still enjoyed a long-running hit back in 2005 with "These Words"... and its longevity, especially within the top 10, helped it outrank her #1 hit "Unwritten", and ranks as her highest!

[image]
64. Katy Perry - Hot N Cold (2008) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Another big star crashes out here, but her career only started last year! Already with 3 #1 hits under her belt, 2 of which qualified for this top 500 list, Katy Perry looks like she'll be a contender for some time to come. This song became her second #1 on my chart, and one with several memorable lines in it that helped it rank as her highest.

[image]
63. JoJo - Too Little, Too Late (2006) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

I wasn't that impressed with JoJo's debut album era, so to hear this song was a pleasant surprise as I ended up really liking it! The first single from "The High Road" gave the then 15-year-old a #1 hit on my chart, and remains by far my favourite from her.

[image]
62. Shaggy - Angel (2001) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

And here's Shaggy's highest appearance! The reggae star sampled the melody from "Angel Of The Morning" and the bass line from "The Joker" and made it into a smash hit that spent 3 weeks at #1 on my chart.

[image]
61. Savage Garden - I Knew I Loved You (1999) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

While many of my favourite Savage Garden songs pre-dated my chart, this song, as well as the entire "Affirmation" era, landed within the framework of my chart. This spent five straight weeks at #2 behind Will Smith, Eiffel 65 and Ricky Martin, then managed to sneak in a week at #1; this helped it rank #61 overall in my favourites. Still another song by an act from Australia to come!

[image]
60. Black Eyed Peas f/Justin Timberlake - Where Is The Love? (2003) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

While I'd heard of the Black Eyed Peas before this, and enjoyed their single "Request Line", this was their huge breakthrough into superstars. This song, which features Justin Timberlake on the chorus, brings a socially conscious message to the masses, and it spent two weeks on top of my chart back in the summer of 2003.

[image]
59. Nelly Furtado - I'm Like A Bird (2001) PEAK: #2

Another one of the most successful artists of the decade is here, and it's Canada's own Nelly Furtado. This was her debut single, a huge international hit, and I still rank it as one of my favourites from her. But one other song from her outranked it!

[image]
58. Michelle Branch - All You Wanted (2002) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

As this list was ranked based on which songs I've liked over the past 10 years, you can clearly expect a lot of Michelle Branch! This was no exception, as it was the song that got me into her, and became her first #1 of eleven to date. Still five more from her to come.

[image]
57. Pink - Get The Party Started (2002) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Here's the third highest Pink song in the list, and it was a departure in sound from her debut album. This showed that "M!ssundaztood" would be revolutionary, and it was; this has since become one of her signature songs, and spent four weeks at #1 on my chart.

[image]
56. Jessica Simpson - A Public Affair (2006) PEAK: #1 (6 weeks)

If you weren't familiar with my chart, and had to guess which artist has been the only one to ever have a song debut at #1 on my chart, Jessica Simpson might not come to mind, but in reality, this song did indeed debut at #1. And showing it was no fluke, it would spend six weeks at #1, and stuck around my chart for the rest of 2006. Shows the power of a catchy pop song!

[image]
55. 3 Doors Down - Let Me Be Myself (2008) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Another band you'd naturally expect to see a lot in here is 3 Doors Down! Showing how strong their songs are when they do hit #1, despite still charting at the end of 2008, it still almost makes the top 50 of an entire decade! Their other five #1's are all still to come... can any of them be #1?

[image]
54. Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me (2002) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

And here's the second highest for Pink, and her highest solo! A song that dissed Britney Spears in its lyrics, this proved that she was here to stay, and became one of her biggest hits.

[image]
53. The Wreckers - My, Oh My (2006) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

This song wasn't an instant standout on their album "Stand Still, Look Pretty" for me, but eventually I ended up really liking it, probably more due to the lyrics than anything else! Still four more songs with Michelle Branch on vocals to come, including one other Wreckers song.

[image]
52. Christina Aguilera, Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim - Lady Marmalade (2001) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Take a LaBelle classic from the 70's, then get four of the most popular female singers of the day to team up on a remake of it for the film "Moulin Rouge"... and you get this smash that spent four weeks at #1 on my chart back in 2001! Out of the singers on this, only Christina has more songs to come, as she has two more higher up.

[image]
51. Destiny's Child - Independent Women Part 1 (2001) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

And now here's the highest for another girl group! Destiny's Child had several hits before this, but it wasn't until this song from the film "Charlie's Angels" that they had a #1 on my chart. Since then, Destiny's Child has had three more #1's on my chart, and Beyoncé has gone off to a successful solo career where she's added another two #1's to her collection.

[image]
50. Cher - Believe (1999) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Who would've thought that Cher would've had her biggest hit once she was over 50 years old? Well, that's exactly what happened here, as this dance song, complete with the infamous "auto-tune" effect that T-Pain has used to great extent lately, became her biggest hit of her legendary career. Not surprisingly, it ranks as her highest in here.

[image]
49. Nelly Furtado - Turn Off The Light (2001) PEAK: #2

And here's the first year-end #1 to fall! 2001 was a year with a lot of great songs... but there wasn't a singular standout song for me that year. As a result, this song, that didn't even reach #1 on my weekly chart, ranks as the highest that had its chart run primarily in 2001. There is one other song still to come that peaked in 2001, but much of its run was in 2002. This is also Nelly Furtado's highest appearance.

[image]
48. Ryan Cabrera - On The Way Down (2004) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Ryan Cabrera broke through in a big way in 2004, with this catchy, upbeat pop/rock song that became one of my favourites of the year. It spent a single week at #1, but had enough longevity to rank in my top 50 best charted singles overall... but it wasn't enough to beat one other of his songs!

[image]
47. Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca (1999) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

And here's the heartthrob who started the Latin invasion of the late 90's! Ricky Martin had this breakthrough English-language single in the summer of 1999, which became a worldwide #1 smash and also reached #1 on my chart for 2 weeks, becoming his highest appearance.

[image]
46. Gwen Stefani - 4 In The Morning (2007) PEAK: #2

And another big star crashes out here... while I did enjoy No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" era a lot, it predated my chart, and therefore, didn't figure in here. However, Gwen's solo career is well-represented, and this, her highest appearance, was my #2 song of 2007 despite not even reaching #1 on my weekly chart! Her laid-back songs like this tend to peak at #2 on my chart, rather oddly!

[image]
45. Sugar Ray - Every Morning (1999) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

One of alternative rock's most successful bands of the late 90's was Sugar Ray, and this song was one of their biggest hits. It ended up becoming their biggest hit overall, and also spent three weeks at #1 on my chart.

[image]
44. 3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time (2008) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Whenever 3 Doors Down has released a new album, the lead single has always reached #1 on my chart. However, this one would've had more weeks had it not been on my chart the same time as Kate Voegele's 10-week #1 "Only Fooling Myself"; it did, however, interrupt Kate's run for a week and became one of my favourite 3 Doors Down songs so far.

[image]
43. Offspring - Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) (1999) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Here's one of the most humourous songs on the list... The Offspring, punk rock pioneers, recorded this ode to wiggers who try so hard to be hip with the homies, which spent four weeks at #1 on my chart and remains my favourite from them so far.

[image]
42. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone (2005) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

This was the song that proved that Kelly Clarkson's American Idol win was no fluke, as it cemented her as a superstar. It would spend four weeks at #1 on my chart, and was one of three songs she'd have in my top 10 of 2005. Still three more from her to come.

[image]
41. Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On (2006) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

And this is probably the most random song in the list... while I did really like this laid-back tune from 2006, it unfortunately ended up being the only song I've really liked from this British soul singer, as I like it more than everything else I've heard from her put together! Still, a very impressive showing here.


[image]
40. Daniel Bedingfield - If You're Not The One (2003) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

After two uptempo dance hits, Daniel Bedingfield surprised me with a ballad! This song, which I think is one of the most beautiful ballads ever recorded, ended up reaching #1 on my chart, where it stayed for a total of five weeks, and kicks off my top 40 best charted songs of an entire decade. It's his highest, as well as being the highest entry for the Bedingfield family as a whole.

[image]
39. Hinder - Lips Of an Angel (2006) PEAK: #2

And here's the highest that didn't hit #1 on my chart! It spent time at #2 behind Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars" and Christina Aguilera's "Hurt", both of which are still to come... but this rock ballad spent 16 weeks in my top 10, which is a record for songs that didn't hit #1.

[image]
38. 'N Sync - Bye Bye Bye (2000) PEAK: #1 (7 weeks)

And here's the highest appearance for 'N Sync! This was one of the biggest boyband hits ever, spending a then-record 7 weeks at #1 on my chart, and ranks at #38 overall for the decade.

[image]
37. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite (2000) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Back to back songs for 3 Doors Down here, and this was the song that got it all started for them. It became one of the biggest hits of 2000, and remains one of their biggest hits to this day, but on here, it's only their 4th highest!

[image]
36. 3 Doors Down - Here Without You (2003) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

And this ballad is their third highest appearance! It was an instant standout on their album "Away From The Sun", and when it became a single, it lived up to its promise, spending four weeks at #1 on my chart. But two other songs from them beat it!

[image]
35. Kelly Clarkson - Sober (2007) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

While this song was a total flop on the actual charts, on my chart it ended up one of her biggest hits! This debuted at #9 on my chart while the previous single "Never Again" was still in my top 10, and went on to spend three weeks at #1. However, she still has two more songs to come!

[image]
34. Maroon 5 - Won't Go Home Without You (2008) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

Another song that was an instant album standout that I knew had to be a single. When this song reminiscent of the Police's classic "Every Breath You Take" did get released, it was #1 within three weeks of debuting on my chart, and spent five weeks at #1. Still one more Maroon 5 song to come, and it's a big one!

[image]
33. Ryan Cabrera - True (2005) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

While I really got into his debut single "On The Way Down, I ended up liking this acoustic ballad even more! A similar sound to Extreme's "More Than Words" on this one, which spent three weeks at #1 at the beginning of 2005, from the album represented on the list that I had the hardest time finding! But it was well worth it in the end!

[image]
32. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams (2005) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Green Day's "American Idiot" album was hailed as a return to form, and this song became their biggest hit ever, spending three weeks at #1 on my chart and becoming one of the top 10 songs of 2005. This ranks as their highest appearance overall.

[image]
31. Evanescence - My Immortal (2004) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Much like the Maroon 5 and 3 Doors Down songs here, this was one song I knew had to be a single from the moment I first heard "Fallen". And when it did, in part thanks to the radio remix, it would go on to spend three weeks at #1 at the beginning of 2004. Still one more song from Evanescence to come, and it's the song that broke them.

[image]
30. Smash Mouth - All Star (1999) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Here's a song that's both fun and inspirational at the same time! Smash Mouth, who originally intended this to be used as a commercial jingle, instead found this song on the soundtrack to the film "Mystery Men", and it ended up becoming their biggest hit ever! It spent 3 weeks at #1 on my chart in the summer of 1999.

[image]
29. Kelly Clarkson - Walk Away (2006) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

There was just no stopping Kelly Clarkson during the "Breakaway" era, and this song, which carried over the era into 2006, kept the ball rolling. It had always been one of my favourites on the album, and I was really happy when it finally became a single, so much so that it spent two weeks at #1 on my chart. This is her second highest ranked song overall; how high is her highest?

[image]
28. Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars (2006) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Snow Patrol had been an underground favourite in the UK for years, but this single was the one that helped cement their worldwide stardom, as it has become their biggest hit worldwide. It's been used in many TV shows such as "Grey's Anatomy", and has remained a chart presence in the UK to this day due to ongoing downloads. Not surprisingly, this is as high as they get.

[image]
27. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head (2002) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Here's a true comeback story; Kylie Minogue had been popular worldwide during the late 80's and 90's, and this became her biggest hit worldwide, reaching #1 in more than 20 countries and also becoming her first big US hit since "The Loco-Motion" in 1988. She's managed continued success on my chart since, but this is as high as she gets on here.

[image]
26. Rob Thomas - This Is How A Heart Breaks (2005) PEAK: #1 (6 weeks)

The first single from his debut solo album "Something To Be", "Lonely No More" was rather misleading for me, as the follow-up single wasn't the Latin-etched pop song like that was, but a true rocker that really showed Rob's full potential as a solo artist. Upon its single release, this shot up my chart very quickly and spent 6 weeks at #1 over the summer of 2005, becoming my favourite from him overall, even including Matchbox Twenty songs!

[image]
25. Santana f/Michelle Branch - I'm Feeling You (2005) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

Around the time that Michelle Branch formed the Wreckers, they were asked to do a second collaboration with Carlos Santana, with whom Michelle had already worked with before. The result was nothing short of phenomenal, as I got into this one instantly and became my favourite song of Santana's 40-year career, as well as one of my favourite Michelle songs ever. While it hit #1 in 2005, it stayed on my chart well into 2006 as well. Still three more Michelle songs to come, including one with the Wreckers.

[image]
24. Britney Spears - Oops... I Did It Again (2000) PEAK: #1 (6 weeks)

Lightning had struck once for Britney... so she took the same formula that she used on her debut album, and did it again! This was another big #1 hit for Britney, spending 6 weeks at #1 on my chart in the summer of 2000... however, this isn't it for her as she still has three more songs to come! Are any of them #1?

[image]
23. Our Lady Peace - Somewhere Out There (2002) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Our Lady Peace was a band I'd had an interest in for years... but this song became their big international breakthrough outside of Canada. As a result, it ended up spending four weeks at #1 on my chart in the summer of 2002, and became my favourite song of theirs to date.

[image]
22. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life (2003) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

The description I'd heard about these guys was intriguing... the concept of a female-led hard rock band certainly worked here, and delivered one of 2003's most memorable vocal performances by lead singer Amy Lee, backed up by Paul McCoy from 12 Stones. "Fallen", the debut album from Evanescence, became one of my favourite albums ever, and this lead single is their highest ranked in this chart.

[image]
21. Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me (2004) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

Avril Lavigne has been one of my favourite singers since she started out, and her album "Under My Skin" was highly anticipated by me. The lead single was a monster smash on my chart, spending four weeks at #1, and becoming one of her biggest hits to date. She still has two more songs to come... which ones and how high will they be?

[image]
20. 3 Doors Down - When I'm Gone (2003) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

3 Doors Down continued the success building off "The Better Life" with their second album "Away From The Sun". This was the lead-off single, and while it did take me time to get into, ended up spending four weeks at #1 on my chart, becoming one of their biggest hits to date. Still one more from them to come.

[image]
19. Mariah Carey - We Belong Together (2005) PEAK: #1 (6 weeks)

Who would've seen this coming? After several years of lacklustre singles and albums, the "Emancipation of Mimi" era brought a return to form, and this ballad became one of her biggest hits ever, ranking up there with her 90's classics. Not surprisingly, this ranks as her highest appearance on here.


18. Michelle Branch - Breathe (2003) PEAK: #1 (5 weeks)

After the huge success on my chart of "Are You Happy Now", I quickly jumped on this song, and it would end up spending five weeks at #1 in November and December of 2003, interrupted by two weeks by Britney Spears and Madonna's "Me Against The Music". The light, catchy pop melodies in this song made it instantly catchy, and it remains one of my favourite Michelle Branch songs to date... but two others beat it out here!

[image]
17. Hoobastank - The Reason (2004) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

If you talk about the big pop/rock crossover hits of the decade, you can't go without mentioning "The Reason". Hoobastank had several rock hits both before and after this, but this was clearly their biggest hit overall, spending four weeks at #1 on my chart back in 2004. Not surprisingly, it's their highest appearance here.

[image]
16. Nickelback - How You Remind Me (2001) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Now here's a rock band who's had many more big hits! Lately I feel they haven't been as good as they used to be, but songs like this have definitely stood the test of time. "How You Remind Me", while it only spent two weeks at #1 on my chart in 2001, lasted well into 2002, and proved to be one of my favourites of the decade, ranking as the highest Nickelback appearance.

[image]
15. Avril Lavigne - Complicated (2002) PEAK: #1 (7 weeks)

Back to back Canadians here, and this is another breakthrough single. Back in 2002, Avril Lavigne was all the buzz, and this debut single gave her a huge worldwide smash, tying the then record of 7 weeks. Defying expectations, she's continued to remain popular to this day, having scored a total of eight #1's... one of which is still to come!

[image]
14. Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love (2008) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

One of the decade's biggest worldwide hits came from this X Factor winner, who had the right blend of styles and the right mass appeal to score a huge hit with "Bleeding Love". I got into it instantly, spending a week at #1 in 2007, then carried over into 2008 as it became a hit over here, and despite only spending one week on top, its longevity ranks it as #14 overall.

[image]
13. The Wreckers - Leave The Pieces (2006) PEAK: #1 (7 weeks)

After Michelle Branch's "Hotel Paper" album, I was anticipating her next move, which was a country duo with Jessica Harp called The Wreckers. This single from them would spend a total of seven weeks at #1 on my chart, and become my #1 song of 2006... however, that was more due to its entire run being within 2006 than anything else, as two other songs from 2006 beat it out in the end, as their chart runs spread into other years.

[image]
12. Christina Aguilera - Genie In A Bottle (1999) PEAK: #1 (4 weeks)

This song showed both her innocent and naughty sides in a very subtle way, and launched a very successful career that's continued strong to this day. While for a long time this had remained my favourite Christina single, since then another song has surpassed it... but how high did it rank?

[image]
11. 3 Doors Down - Let Me Go (2005) PEAK: #1 (3 weeks)

And here's the highest entry for 3 Doors Down, despite being from my least favourite album of theirs! It was another anticipated return for me, and despite looking like it would peak at #2 on my chart when it fell down to #6, it eventually recovered and spent three weeks at #1 on my chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive