Sunday, February 1, 2009

Top 100 songs of 1999-2008 (301-400)

[image]
400. Christina Aguilera - Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You) (2000) PEAK: #7

Four singles from Christina Aguilera's debut album made the top 10 on my chart, and this was the fourth of them. Christina is one of the most successful artists to date on my chart, with a total of eleven #1 hits, and while this didn't quite do as well as those, it was still a big hit.

[image]
399. Shakira - Underneath Your Clothes (2002) PEAK: #6

Shakira surprised many when her hip-shaking anthem "Whenever, Wherever" was followed up by this ballad... which isn't about getting naked! But it worked well for her, and became another big hit. Still more Shakira to come here.

[image]
398. Sugababes - Easy (2006) PEAK: #4

After several years of success in the UK and worldwide, it came time for the Sugababes to release a greatest hits collection. This was one of the new songs in it, and it became one of my favourite songs from them so far... but they do have one more song to come!

[image]
397. Stacie Orrico - (There's Gotta Be) More To Life (2003) PEAK: #8

This proved that Christian pop singer Stacie Orrico was no fluke with "Stuck" as this turned out to become another hit of the same magnitude. With more meaningful lyrics, it showed her depth as an artist, and became her first of two songs to appear in the top 400.

[image]
396. Jewel - Intuition (2003) PEAK: #7

Jewel, best known for her folk-influenced songs, went pure pop on her "0304" album. The change was good for the album she did it on, and led to this, one of her biggest hits so far. Evolution as an artist has helped her stay strong for over a decade now.

[image]
395. Pussycat Dolls - Stickwitu (2005) PEAK: #5

I was surprised when I heard the Pussycat Dolls singing a ballad following their huge hit "Don't Cha", which is still to come. But I was quite pleased as their vocals really fit it well, and it became a second straight hit for these ladies.

[image]
394. Lenny Kravitz - American Woman (1999) PEAK: #18

The only song on the list that failed to make my top 12, it did spend 30 weeks within my top 40 though, which is very remarkable given very few songs, even big #1's, make it that long in my top 40! Anyway, this was a remake of the Guess Who's big hit for the soundtrack for "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me", and turned out very well, fitting right in with Lenny's other songs.

[image]
393. Dido - Don't Leave Home (2004) PEAK: #8

Dido's "Life For Rent" album was one of my favourites back in the day, and it did spawn three top 10 hits on my chart. And while "White Flag" was the biggest overall of them on the actual charts, this ended up as my favourite single from that album, despite only peaking at #8, it had the longevity to rank among my 400 best charted songs to date.

[image]
392. Sarah McLachlan - I Will Remember You (1999) PEAK: #9

I was familiar with the studio version of this song a few years before I started my chart, but then it was released as a live version from her "Mirrorball" album, and became the big hit it was destined to be. Despite the success of this song, Sarah McLachlan still has another big hit to come on here!

[image]
391. Keane - Is It Any Wonder? (2006) PEAK: #3

I'd somewhat enjoyed the singles from Keane's "Hopes and Fears" album, so I was interested when they prepared the follow-up album. However, I didn't expect something THIS good, as it became, far and away, my favourite Keane song to date. Nothing they've done since this has even come close to matching up to this.

[image]
390. Shakira - Don't Bother (2005) PEAK: #5

It was a worthwhile comeback for Shakira... a different sounding song for her following songs like "Whenever, Wherever", but one that worked well for me, even if it wasn't one of her biggest hits overall. However, she does have two songs to come, and they are the two songs you would naturally think of when you think of Shakira.

[image]
389. Aaliyah - Try Again (2000) PEAK: #8

From the film soundtrack to "Romeo Must Die", this was one of many Timbaland-produced Aaliyah tracks. Tragically, she died a year later in a plane crash, but left behind many memorable songs, this being my favourite from her, and her only appearance on my top 500 list.

[image]
388. Ben Moody f/Anastacia - Everything Burns (2005) PEAK: #2

After leaving Evanescence, Ben Moody continued to produce for other artists, including Anastacia, with whom he duets on this song from the soundtrack to "Fantastic Four". It ended up peaking at #2 on my chart in the summer of 2005, and became Anastacia's highest-charting song in the top 500.

[image]
387. Hilary Duff - With Love (2007) PEAK: #2

A transformation from Disney princess to electropop diva is exactly what happened here, and Hilary Duff managed to pull off her new style really well. The album "Dignity" wasn't one of her more successful ones but still managed some hits on my chart, this being the biggest, but not her biggest overall.

[image]
386. Howie Day - Collide (2005) PEAK: #5

One of many male singer-songwriters popular in the middle of the decade, Howie Day had a few hits on my chart during that time, "Collide" being the biggest.

[image]
385. John Morris - Mercy (2007) PEAK: #6

The only unsigned artist in the entire top 500, John Morris had a few songs in the early part of the decade I'd liked, but it was this song that became my favourite from him, and his first top 10 hit on my chart.

[image]
384. Girls Aloud - I'll Stand By You (2005) PEAK: #4

I've always been a fan of the Pretenders original... and it came to my surprise that Girls Aloud covered it very well, their harmonies really showed on here. To date, it's remained one of my favourite Girls Aloud songs, and ranks as their highest entry in the top 500.

[image]
383. Rihanna f/Jay-Z - Umbrella (2007) PEAK: #5

This one I'm sure some people are surprised to see so low, but I didn't see it as the "instant classic" that others did. I did eventually get into it, but even so, there are a few Rihanna songs I prefer, that will rank higher.

[image]
382. Kate Voegele - I Won't Disagree (2008) PEAK: #3

Another track from Kate Voegele, and one that really helped her dominate 2008 on my chart. This one was the higher-ranking of two album tracks she had on my chart at once.

[image]
381. Madonna - American Pie (2000) PEAK: #3

What a transformation here! Don McLean's essential classic was turned into a dance-pop song that, while not as good as the original, was still good enough to rank in my top 400 best-charted songs of the past decade.


[image]
380. Eiffel 65 - Move Your Body (2000) PEAK: #3

Eiffel 65, while their success was short-lived, gave us some memorable songs back at the end of the 1990's and the beginning of the 2000's. This song became their second big hit in a row on my chart... but how high did their huge #1 smash "Blue" rank?

[image]
379. Britney Spears - I'm A Slave 4 U (2001) PEAK: #3

And now we go to one of my chart's biggest stars, with a different sound for her, as this song was more urban than her pop-oriented first 2 albums! It wasn't quite as big a hit as the others though, and became the only lead-off single from her studio albums that failed to reach #1 on my chart, but was still a moderate hit.

[image]
378. Fatboy Slim - Praise You (1999) PEAK: #4

And now we go to another big dance smash, this one from 1999. Norman Cook had gone by many aliases up to this point, but Fatboy Slim was the one under which he achieved the most success, including this song which has become a 90's classic.

[image]
377. The Killers - All These Things That I've Done (2005) PEAK: #5

If there is any band who has had many anthemic songs over the past few years, it has to be the Killers. "I got soul but I'm not a soldier" is one of many memorable lines in this song, which became one of five top 5 hits to date for these guys from Las Vegas.

[image]
376. O.A.R. - Shattered (Turn The Car Around) (2008) PEAK: #11

O.A.R. had developed a cult following over the years, but it was this song that made them into stars. A light pop/rock tune with a catchy tune, it narrowly missed my top 10 on my weekly chart but managed enough longevity to rank in my top 400 best charted songs to date.

[image]
375. Kylie Minogue - Red Blooded Woman (2004) PEAK: #3

Kylie Minogue continued the momentum from her "Fever" album into the next era, "Body Language". This was the second hit single from that album, and while it took a while for me to get into it, I eventually did and it became one of my favourites from her.

[image]
374. Ricky Martin - She's All I Ever Had (1999) PEAK: #5

Hip-shaking heartthrob Ricky Martin decided to throw this ballad on us after the upbeat summer smash "Livin' La Vida Loca" was a huge #1 hit. This also became a big hit, and ranks as my 374th best charted song of the past 10 years.

[image]
373. O-Town - All Or Nothing (2001) PEAK: #3

A boyband formed on the TV series "Making The Band", O-Town had a few memorable songs in the early part of the decade, and this ballad became their biggest hit of their short career.

[image]
372. Hilary Duff - So Yesterday (2003) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

And now we come to one of the most popular female celebrities of the past few years. Hilary Duff got her start on Disney's series "Lizzie McGuire", and this song also started up her pop music career, which she has continued to this day.

[image]
371. Will Smith - Wild Wild West (1999) PEAK: #4

Not many people can successfully act in blockbuster movies and have a booming music career as well, but Will Smith can claim both. This song was the title track from one of his movies, sampling "I Wish" by Stevie Wonder, performing a memorable rap and turning it into a memorable movie theme.


[image]
370. 3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun (2004) PEAK: #5

After scoring 2 #1's on my chart in 2003, 3 Doors Down released this ballad as the next logical step. While not quite as big as the two big hits, it was still a moderate hit, reaching #5 in the spring of 2004.

[image]
369. Kelis - Milkshake (2004) PEAK: #4

And here's another infectuous song from around the same time! This Neptunes-produced song gave Kelis her biggest hit to date, and very deservingly so as this is one of those songs that just sticks in your head and can't resist it!

[image]
368. Alanis Morissette - Precious Illusions (2002) PEAK: #6

While this wasn't one of Alanis's most successful singles on the charts, it was a favourite of mine, and managed to give her one of her many top 10 hits on my chart. I actually feel the "Under Rug Swept" album was quite underrated in general.

[image]
367. Eve f/Alicia Keys - Gangsta Lovin' (2002) PEAK: #3

And now to a collaboration of 2 of the R&B/hip-hop world's biggest female artists of the time! When they got together, Eve and Alicia Keys came up with this song, which is one of my favourites from both artists.

[image]
366. Jesse McCartney - Right Where You Want Me (2006) PEAK: #5

Jesse McCartney is usually hit or miss for me... and while some of his bigger hits I haven't really been fond of, most of my favourites from him are the underrated treasures like this song. Despite a return to success with the "Departure" album, this song remains my favourite from him.

[image]
365. Robyn - With Every Heartbeat (2007) PEAK: #6

Who would've seen this comeback coming? After several big hits in the late 90's, Robyn disappeared from the music scene, only to resurface with this dance track that became one of my favourites from her. She had a few more minor hits from her self-titled album, but none of them as big as this.

[image]
364. Christina Aguilera - I Turn To You (2000) PEAK: #6

If there's anything Christina Aguilera has over her comtemporaries in pop music, it's her powerful vocals. And if there's anything that can show off vocal power, it's a Diane Warren ballad such as this, which really played to Christina's strengths and became another big hit for her following her first 2 singles, which both reached #1 on my chart.

[image]
363. Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman! (1999) PEAK: #5

Shania Twain's album "Come On Over", while released in 1997, continued putting out hits into 1998, 1999 and even 2000! This song was a hit back in 1999, and as a result, it was a big hit on my chart, making my top 5 and remaining one of my favourite Shania songs to this day.

[image]
362. Black Eyed Peas - Don't Lie (2005) PEAK: #3

The Black Eyed Peas have remained one of the foremost rap groups throughout the decade, and songs like this show why. While not the upbeat party style they're known for, they showed they can still do a more laid-back rap song like this, which really appealed to me.

[image]
361. Simple Plan - When I'm Gone (2008) PEAK: #2

I thought Simple Plan would go urban when I heard they were working with Danja... but this song stayed true to their normal pop/rock style! This song, while more on the pop side, became their highest peaking song on my chart, but in terms of overall longevity, 3 other songs that I prefer from them beat it out.

[image]
360. Savage Garden - The Animal Song (1999) PEAK: #2

After the success of their self-titled debut album, Savage Garden released this song from the soundtrack to "The Other Sister", which quickly became one of my favourites from them, and only Sugar Ray's "Every Morning" prevented it from reaching #1 on my chart.

[image]
359. Shakira f/Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie (2006) PEAK: #2

Another #2 song from my chart, but one that was totally unavoidable back in 2006. This became Shakira's biggest hit worldwide, and on my chart it hit the runner-up spot, trailing only "Leave The Pieces" by the Wreckers. Still one more Shakira song to come on here.

[image]
358. Jessica Simpson - Take My Breath Away (2004) PEAK: #3

In a case of a remake of an 80's classic actually working out (though not as good as the Berlin song), Jessica Simpson released this as the first of three remakes in a row released as singles. I ended up liking it a lot, and it reached #3 on my chart, her third song to reach that position.

[image]
357. Everclear - Wonderful (2000) PEAK: #6

Now we get to a song whose message is misleading given the song's title... but it was written about the lead singer coping with his parents' divorce, in a similar way to "Family Portrait" by Pink. This became Everclear's biggest hit on my chart, reaching the top 10 in the summer of 2000.

[image]
356. Spice Girls - Goodbye (1999) PEAK: #3

I thought that this would be the farewell for the Spice Girls, but they did end up reaching the top 10 on my chart twice more after this. This, the first single they released without Geri Halliwell, became a top 5 hit in the early days of my chart.

[image]
355. Aerosmith - Jaded (2001) PEAK: #4

These guys have been rocking out since the 70's, and have remained successful throughout the 80's, 90's and, thanks to this song, the 00's. I've enjoyed many Aerosmith songs through the years, and this is one of my favourites from them, having made the top 5 on my chart back in 2001.

[image]
354. Simple Plan - Untitled (2005) PEAK: #6

Simple Plan are known for their fun, upbeat songs... so it came to my surprise that they could pull off a ballad this well! The song, about how drinking and driving impacts the victims, became one of my favourites from them, but it just could not get out of the #6 peak it hit, the same fate that "Addicted" had on my chart!

[image]
353. U2 & Green Day - The Saints Are Coming (2006) PEAK: #3

These 2 powerhouse rock bands teamed up after the revival of New Orleans from the effects of Hurricane Katrina to record this song, which became a quick top 5 hit on my chart. Both bands have more songs to come.

[image]
352. Live - Heaven (2003) PEAK: #6

These guys, best known for their 90's alternative rock hits, continued on into the 00's, with this song, a more pop-sounding song than their normal output. It worked well, reaching the top 10 on my chart, and becoming one of my favourites from them.

[image]
351. Madonna - Music (2000) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Madonna has been one of the biggest stars worldwide since the 80's... and songs like this showed her momentum had not slowed down in the 00's. Despite reaching #1 on my chart for a week, it felt the effects of overplay, and did not have longevity, resulting in a rather low position overall. Still a few more Madonna songs to come.


[image]
350. Alanis Morissette - Eight Easy Steps (2004) PEAK: #4

While I did like the previous single "Everything", I felt that it wasn't quite up to par with her classics. This one, however, I did end up liking more. It became the best-charting single on my chart from "So-Called Chaos"; however, 2 more Alanis songs are to come, and both hit #1 on my chart.

[image]
349. Gwen Stefani - Cool (2005) PEAK: #2

This was one of my favourite tracks on the "Love Angel Music Baby" album when I got it, and I was delighted when it was chosen as a single. Midtempo pop tracks like this are generally the best Gwen does solo... yet all of her songs that are like this peaked at #2 on my chart! This one was blocked by Rob Thomas's "This Is How A Heart Breaks" back in the summer of 2005, but still remains one of my favourite solo Gwen songs.

[image]
348. Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy) (2001) PEAK: #3

Piano-playing singer/songwriter John Ondrasik uses the name Five For Fighting for his recordings, and this song, which basically describes how it's not easy being someone like Superman, became a top 3 hit on my chart, remaining my favourite from him to date.

[image]
347. Pink - U + Ur Hand (2006) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

And now we get to a song about masturbation... and the title makes it obvious! After a string of flops, this song helped revive Pink's success, and I'm glad she was able to reclaim her past success! I guess a catchy song like this was all it took... still a few more Pink songs to come, including her other five #1's.

[image]
346. Smash Mouth - I'm A Believer (2001) PEAK: #3

Remarkably sounding similar to the Monkees original version, Smash Mouth contributed this remake to the soundtrack to the first Shrek film. The remake became one of my favourite songs from them to date... however, their massive hit "All Star" is still higher up!

[image]
345. Liz Phair - Extraordinary (2004) PEAK: #5

90's indie favourite Liz Phair went in a more mainstream pop direction with her self-titled album, and this, the second single from it, despite having more of a rock edge than "Why Can't I", was still catchy enough to become a moderate success, and reached the top 5 on my chart as well.

[image]
344. Gwen Stefani - What You Waiting For? (2004) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

This song is about as catchy and infectuous as they get! This was a perfect way to kick off Gwen Stefani's solo career, but despite reaching #1 on my chart, it did not have much longevity at all. She does still have a few more songs to come, both solo and with No Doubt.

[image]
343. DJ Sammy - Heaven (2002) PEAK: #9

I never would've guessed Bryan Adams's song "Heaven" would make a good dance song... but sure enough, it did :o This song had an up and down run for me in 2002, eventually peaking at #9 and ranking at #343 overall for the past 10 years.

[image]
342. Matchbox Twenty - Bent (2000) PEAK: #8

This rockin' tune showed the world Matchbox Twenty was back, and after the success of their "Yourself Or Someone Like You" album, this showed they hadn't lost their special touch. This reached #8 on my chart, and also had relative longevity... however, Matchbox Twenty still has a few more songs to come, as does their frontman Rob Thomas.

[image]
341. Mis-Teeq - Scandalous (2004) PEAK: #4

The UK's given us many memorable girl groups such as the Spice Girls, All Saints, Bananarama, the Sugababes and Girls Aloud... these ladies had some success for a while, but broke up shortly afterwards. Still, they did leave a memorable career, with this song being the highlight of their career for me. So so so scandalous!

[image]
340. Jennifer Lopez f/LL Cool J - All I Have (2003) PEAK: #2

Jennifer Lopez has several appearances in this list, all of which in the 1999-2003 time period. This song was one I wasn't really fond of at first, but grew to like it enough to reach the runner-up spot on my chart (only behind "When I'm Gone" by 3 Doors Down). Unfortunately, after this became her 11th straight top 5 on my chart, nothing she's released since has even come close to my top 10.

[image]
339. KT Tunstall - Black Horse And The Cherry Tree (2006) PEAK: #4

One of many British singer/songwriters who broke through in the middle part of the decade, KT Tunstall scored two big hits from her debut album "Eye To The Telescope" that both placed in my top 500. This was her first single to chart for me.

[image]
338. Chris Brown - Forever (2008) PEAK: #2

I was never really a big fan of Chris Brown originally... in fact, some of the songs he'd released I'd really hated! It was "With You" that changed that and became the first single from him I really liked... and then "Forever" I liked even more, so much so that it would peak at #2 on my chart, and become by far my favourite song from him.

[image]
337. KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See (2006) PEAK: #6

And here's the other KT song! This one peaked 2 spots lower than "Black Horse And The Cherry Tree", but due to overall longevity (it spent about 30 weeks in my top 100), it wins out with the slightly higher position in the top 500.

[image]
336. Bon Jovi - It's My Life (2000) PEAK: #4

After a 5-year hiatus from recording, Bon Jovi reunited in 2000 with a new album "Crush". This, the first single from it, was co-written and produced by Max Martin, who was responsible for many of the era's big pop hits, and gave them one of their biggest hits, reaching the top 5 on my chart.

[image]
335. Sugababes - Red Dress (2006) PEAK: #3

Released shortly after the departure of Mutya for a solo career, this song has two versions: the original album version, and a re-recorded version with then new member Amelle. This became the biggest hit the Sugababes have had on my chart, reaching a peak of #3.

[image]
334. Pink - There You Go (2000) PEAK: #8

While Pink would evolve in more of a pop direction with future albums, her debut album "Can't Take Me Home" was a more R&B-influenced album. This was her debut single, a top 10 hit from my chart back in 2000; however, many more Pink songs are still to come.

[image]
333. Katharine McPhee - Over It (2007) PEAK: #3

Another American Idol runner-up who scored a big hit on my chart was Katharine McPhee; unfortunately, she has not had much success afterwards, but at least this song was memorable enough to rank in my top 500.

[image]
332. Will Smith - Miami (1999) PEAK: #5

Will Smith is one of those rappers who has a lot of fun songs, and this was a prime example of it. Songs like this have been a perfect example of his longevity in all the media he's been involved in.

[image]
331. Jennifer Lopez f/Nas - I'm Gonna Be Alright (2002) PEAK: #5

And yet another song from J-Lo appears here... this one was remixed featuring a verse by rapper Nas on her remix album (though Nas was just for the radio version; the album version featured 50 Cent). She still has some more songs to come.

[image]
330. Jessica Simpson - I Think I'm In Love With You (2000) PEAK: #1 (1 week)

Taking the riff from John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane", Jessica Simpson delivered a memorable song here that became her first #1 on my chart. She still has a few more songs I prefer over this, so expect more of her to come!

[image]
329. Pearl Jam - World Wide Suicide (2006) PEAK: #2

Pearl Jam, one of the most popular bands of the grunge movement of the 90's, are true survivors, continuing on into this decade. This song was one I felt was one of their best, and a return to form... still one more song from them to come.


328. New Radicals - You Get What You Give (1999) PEAK: #5

Another memorable hit here, this one from 1999; Gregg Alexander, using the name New Radicals, recorded this song including some celebrity disses at the end, which helped make the song one of my favourites of the day, and my #328 song of the past 10 years.

[image]
327. Offspring - Why Don't You Get A Job? (1999) PEAK: #5

Here's a song for the lazy! If you're tired of someone never doing anything for you when you do everything for them, just tell them to get a job! That was the point behind this song, which became one of my favourites from the Offspring, reaching the top 5 on my chart back in 1999.

[image]
326. Daughtry - Feels Like Tonight (2008) PEAK: #5

Daughtry had a streak of hits from their self-titled debut album, and this one became another big hit for them. Despite not peaking as high as the first 3 big hits from it on my chart, its longevity for its #5 peak ranks it here at #326.

[image]
325. Barenaked Ladies - Pinch Me (2000) PEAK: #2

If there's any band that just screams out "fun", it's the Barenaked Ladies. They inject doses of humour into their music, this song included with lines like "I just made you say underwear". This reached #2 on my chart back in 2000, and is the highest ranking song by these crazy Canadians.

[image]
324. Robbie Williams - Feel (2003) PEAK: #4

Robbie Williams has become one of the world's biggest superstars ever since leaving Take That for a solo career... despite this, he remains a relative unknown in the USA. He's made my chart several times, including four top 10 hits, this included.

[image]
323. 'N Sync - This I Promise You (2000) PEAK: #5

In 2000, 'N Sync could do no wrong... so what better to do than sing a song written and produced by Richard Marx? This ballad was one of their biggest hits and an obvious single choice from the beginning, and naturally ended up making the top 5 on my chart after two #1's.

[image]
322. Blu Cantrell - Hit 'Em Up Style (Oops!) (2001) PEAK: #2

Another anthem for ladies getting revenge on their cheating partners here, and it was the first big hit for Blu Cantrell. This song was instantly catchy, and ended up reaching #2 on my chart back in 2001, and remains a favourite with me to this day.

[image]
321. Jennifer Lopez - Love Don't Cost A Thing (2001) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

In early 2001, there was anticipation for a new Jennifer Lopez album... and this song quickly shot up my chart, spending two weeks at #1... but I got sick of it fast and it ended up only spending 13 weeks in my top 40! The three singles after this all did better longevity-wise, and are all still to come.

[image]
320. Craig David - Fill Me In (2001) PEAK: #8

Craig David was one of the UK's big breakout R&B males at the beginning of the decade, and one who's managed several hits since. However, it was this song, his debut single, that ranks the highest in my top 500.

[image]
319. Enrique Iglesias - Hero (2001) PEAK: #4

After making his mark in the English-language market with uptempo Latin pop songs, it was this ballad that became his biggest hit to date. However, despite a #4 peak on my chart, it wasn't his biggest hit on my chart, only his third-biggest. Two others managed to beat it.

[image]
318. Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles (2002) PEAK: #7

And now another debut single, this one becoming one of the biggest hits of the decade so far. This piano-playing star wasn't able to achieve the success of this track afterwards, and while this song has a respectable showing, she does have one more guest appearance to come.

[image]
317. Ricky Martin - Shake Your Bon-Bon (2000) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

This was one of my favourite songs to dance to at the dance at my high school prom, which may explain why an oddball song from Ricky Martin was such a big hit on my chart! Around that time, it hit #1 for 2 weeks on my chart, and became his second of three #1's. His other two #1's are still to come.

[image]
316. Britney Spears f/Madonna - Me Against The Music (2003) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

The VMA's with the groundbreaking kiss between Britney Spears and Madonna set up hype for this collaboration single, from one of my most anticipated albums of all time, "In The Zone". It wasn't quite as good as other Britney singles, but still good enough to hit #1 for 2 weeks, interrupting the run of Michelle Branch's "Breathe".

[image]
315. Tori Amos - Sleeps With Butterflies (2005) PEAK: #3

This song was a pleasant surprise for me, as I'd only casually known of some of Tori Amos's music... however, this song I ended up really liking, and became a top 5 hit early in 2005, marking her only appearance in the top 500.

[image]
314. Simple Plan - Your Love Is A Lie (2008) PEAK: #4

I've always liked Simple Plan's music at least somewhat, however their chartings have been slightly inconsistent at times. This one was a top 5 hit last year for me, and ranks at #314 overall.

[image]
313. Shinedown - Second Chance (2008) PEAK: #4

Now for a band that I normally don't like at all, but this song came to me as a surprise! With deep lyrics and a catchy melody, it became easily my favourite Shinedown song to date, as it prepares to become a huge hit in 2009.

[image]
312. Lifehouse - Broken (2008) PEAK: #7

Another band I've usually liked; this one I'd first heard in 2007, but it was a radio remix that got me back into it in 2008. This is famous for a misheard lyric "I may have lost my wiener" that helped me remain into this song during 2008.

[image]
311. James Blunt - You're Beautiful (2005) PEAK: #6

And now to one of the UK's best male singer/songwriters this decade. James Blunt has had several appearances, but despite making the top 5 twice, it was this one, his breakthrough single, that outranks them all due to its sheer longevity.

[image]
310. Wave - California (2001) PEAK: #5

A Canadian pop duo who only released 2 albums, Wave had several memorable songs, particularly this song from their debut album "Nothing's As It Seems". One of my favourites of the summer of 2001, it made my top 5 back then.

[image]
309. The Killers - Bones (2006) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

And while this wasn't one of the Killers' biggest hits, it was one of my favourites. This reached #1 for 2 weeks back in November 2006, and while it didn't last as long as other songs they've done, it was still one of their biggest hits on my chart to date.

[image]
308. Blink 182 - All The Small Things (2000) PEAK: #6

One of those punk rock bands who took a more pop influence thanks to TRL bringing them to the mainstream, this song became one of Blink 182's biggest hits, and one of my favourites from them so far. This became a top 10 hit for them on my chart, but another song from them managed to beat it!

[image]
307. Matchbox Twenty - Unwell (2003) PEAK: #8

Matchbox Twenty has had many songs with catchy melodies and relateable lyrics... and this was one of them. Their songs, even if they don't make the top 5 on my chart, usually have longevity, and this was no exception. Still more of them to come here.

[image]
306. State of Shock - Money Honey (2007) PEAK: #4

Another Canadian band here, these guys from Vancouver released their breakthrough album "Life, Love and Lies", which includes three songs in my top 500 best charted songs of the past 10 years. This was their debut single, a top 5 hit in the autumn of 2007 and one of the biggest hits in Canada at the time.

[image]
305. Pink - Just Like A Pill (2002) PEAK: #3

Pink really caught my ear with the "M!ssundaztood" album, as it gave her four straight top 10 hits on my chart. This was the third of them, a hit over the summer of 2002, and one of the catchiest songs she's done to date.

[image]
304. Coldplay - Speed of Sound (2005) PEAK: #3

I've liked several Coldplay songs, and this was one, the lead single from their "X&Y" album, I took an instant liking to. It wasn't long before it became a top 5 hit on my chart, and to date, it remains one of my favourite songs from them. Still one more to come from Coldplay.

[image]
303. Nickelback - Feelin' Way Too Damn Good (2004) PEAK: #4

Another band I've enjoyed several songs from is Nickelback; this wasn't one of their absolute biggest hits, but still one of my favourites of the summer of 2004, reaching my top 5 then.

[image]
302. Will Smith - Will 2K (1999) PEAK: #1 (2 weeks)

Another very timely song here, Will Smith released this anthem sampling the Clash's "Rock the Casbah", and released it just before the year 2000 started. The timing was perfect, and as the new year began, this song sat at #1 on my chart. It also ranks as Will's highest (though several of his pre-1999 classics would've ranked higher).

[image]
301. Lillix - It's About Time (2003) PEAK: #3

Another Canadian band here, think of 4 Avril Lavignes (though they're now down to 3 members, though the core sisters who formed the band remain). This was easily their biggest hit, and the same applied on my chart, as it reached a peak of #3 in the spring of 2003. Unfortunately, they haven't done anything since that matches up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive